Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Taking On The Most Powerful Ladies of Pop

I’ve got an important announcement to make! Well, it’s actually not that important…and now I’ve got your attention, and peaked interests and what have you, and some might even end up disappointed, there are expectations to fill…Whatever. For the final assignment given to us for CS400h, I chose to take on the final project and use my know-how with Youtube in order to do it. So, because we’ve talked so much about participatory media, as well as remixing, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. What I did was listen to some versions of other songs on Youtube, and put together my own original compilation, or remix, if you will, of three contemporary songs that I’m sure we all know: Britney Spears’s ‘Circus’, Lady Gaga’s ‘Just Dance’ and Rihanna’s ‘Disturbia’.

It took me a while to turn it into what it is now. After about three weeks of practicing, I didn’t realize how truly difficult it was going to be to take on my own remix. All three songs deal with different subject matter lyrically, they all have different tempos, and each artist sings them quite differently. Not to mention the fact that the key was one I had never sung in before (I guess that’s what happens when I take on three songs sung by females). I didn’t want it to sound stupid, and I definitely didn’t want to bite off more than I could chew. And three songs everyone knows and loves? What was I thinking? Well, this is what I thought anyway. After changing which lyrics I would sing, or where each section of a particular song will go, I think I’ve finally come to a version that I’m actually quite proud of.

What I’m asking for from you guys, my faithful readers, is to provide any comments, either through this blog, or if you have a Youtube account, comment on the actual video there (and even rate it using the star system). This way, I’ll be able to use all this feedback in order to strengthen my final report for the project. Now, be critical, be kind, be whatever you like – these blogs are anonymous (except for the few of you who I know the identity of. I guess you’ll have to be nice, haha, kidding!). It’s all for the love of music, and participatory media. It’ll make me a better artist, and at the same time, it’ll help me earn some grades!

With that said, here’s the video. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. What a good idea for a final project, and I have to say, great choices of songs. Making a remix of your own is incredibly relevant to the course content. You've taken preexisting intellectual property and turned into something completely new and all your own. By putting this new content onto youtube you are making it available to others to continue the cycle.

    Remixing is becoming more visible, but it is not a new phenomenon. Albert Einstein is credited to have said that, “the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” As remixing becomes more popular, perhaps it is just the opposite that should be done, not to hide the sources used, but to give them credit for their inspiration. Since all three of the songs are still visible within your remix, and you’ve given credit to the original performers who’s work you borrowed, you are demonstrating a strong case for contemporary thought surrounding copyleft. In class and in particular in the mini reading by Tom Chance, we discussed how, at present, all remixing is basically illegal, but that the strict laws don’t stop it from happening. You’re project definitely contributes to the discourse about remixing, and about the problems with the copyright laws that are in currently in place.

    ReplyDelete